This post originally ‘aired’ in October 2008. Podcasting was growing but not mainstream. Girlfriendology, aka: Debba Haupert, took on podcasting and interviewed over 150 amazing women – including Miss America 2011 and TV ‘craft queen’ Carol Duvall. Female authors, entrepreneurs, moms, cancer-survivors, soldiers, girlfriends … we learned from their words and share wisdom. There were very few podcasts for women then, but there were great ones and many that I have the honor of interviewing for the Girlfriendology Podcast.
It was a glorious run. But it ended. Podcasting takes time and there was little of it.
Now it’s 2016 and Podcasting is BACK! With the popularity of Serial and other podcasts, the amount of fresh audio content each week is amazing. There is something about hearing someone’s voice and their authentic story told as only they can tell it. There is power in the connection we make when we listen and learn together.
As stated above, this original post went live in 2008. It’s been very popular however some of the links and podcasts are no more. So, it’s an NEW YEAR and an NEW opportunity to share what is going on in the world of women’s podcasting. Who are inspiring? Sharing stories and wisdom? Making us laugh? Making us cry? Reminding us of the connection that all women share through our voice and stories.
Quick sidenote – The Girlfriendology podcast is coming back in February! It was such a wonderful way of sharing women’s inspiration and stories that we are committed to bringing weekly podcasts back featuring amazing women with wonderful insights and joy. Also, since we have a wealthy of recordings from years ago, we’re going to feature some of those women and their stories. Give an update on where they are and let their voices continue to live in our ‘Girlfriendology Classics’ episodes. Listen to the GIRLFRIENDOLOGY PODCAST HERE and let us know what you think!
10 Great Podcasts for / by Women (the 2016 version)
Note: this is our first list. There are so many others we want to feature! Come back to Girlfriendology (or sign up for our newsletter) to get more podcasts for women recommendations!
- HELLO FRIEND: By girlfriend Lucrecer Braxton. First, totally jealous Lucrecer came up with this name and podcast! (She’s a beautiful friend and great storyteller/photographer). Each week Lucrecer interviews in interesting person for their story and insights. It’s a fun, fabulous podcast (and I hope to have Lucrecer on our podcast too!).
- AMY PORTERFIELD: If you’re a blogger or online marketer, you probably know Amy. She’s a great resource for solid, smart information on building your audience, doing webinars, and growing your business. In a genre dominated by male podcasters, Amy is a rare female voice. Her personality comes through though so the content is fresh and applicable.
- GRETCHEN RUBIN: Author of The Happiness Project, etc., Gretchen, and her sister Elizabeth, have created a smart and inspiring podcast for women (and men) on happiness. From interviews with Drew Barrymore to friendly banter among sisters about life, these conversations look inside our feelings and how we can point them towards more happiness.
- WOMEN OF THE HOUR: With Lena Dunham is a smart, honest, insightful podcast this beautiful actress/activist. Especially her first episode on female friendship. As she describes her girlfriend(s) as: ‘Someone you can talk comfortably with about uncomfortable things’ … ‘Female friendship has been THE driving force of my life’ … ‘I love loving men, but I love knowing women.’ She defines her podcasts (for Buzzfeed) as a way to ‘celebrate the women who blow her mind.’ It’s a short series, but not short on honest insights from this wonderful woman and storyteller.
- EMERGING WOMEN: As they describe it: “The founder and host of Emerging Women Live, host Chantal Pierrat’s passion is to integrate feminine leadership and authenticity into businesses, and to create a world where women have a strong voice in the shaping of our future.” We love inspiring women and women who support other women, so this podcast definitely makes our list!
- MORE TO COME (recommend them below~!)
BONUS: Check out this podcast for women who PODCAST – ShePodcasts offers support for women podcasters.
(NOTE – I’m still editing this post and will add the other podcasts shortly! LEAVE YOUR RECOMMENDATIONS BELOW!)
* Our TOP TEN Girlfriendology podcasts from our CLASSICS? Glad you asked! (-; 1. Carol Duvall (author, TV queen of crafts), 2. Ellen Shuman (emotional eating expert), 3. Debbie Macomber (mega author), 4. Katie Hacker (beading author), 5. Kris Radish (our first video, great author!), 6. Novel Destinations authors: Joni Rendon and Shannon McKenna Schmidt, 7. Jill MacKay (author, designer, girlfriend – interview with me!), 8. Tami Boehmer (Breast Cancer Warrior), 9. Lisa Shepard Stewart, 10. Carrie Runnals (of WordsToMouth and TheDiva Cast). UPDATE: Check