My girlfriend Suzanne got a new haircut last week. Her blonde hair is a lot shorter and has new highlights; in some ways, it is very different. But mostly, it just makes her more herself.
Style expert and Girlfriend Guru DONNA GAMACHE shares seven great ideas for branding yourself in 2013. Here’s to being the best YOU ever!
With a new year comes goal setting and reflecting on what you have accomplished. One thing I know for sure, the most successful business women are those who are authentic. Have you ever met someone who tries to be someone else to get ahead in business or life? It doesn’t take long to figure out how insincere they are and that is a real turnoff. On the other hand, knowing who you are on the inside and then showing it on the outside creates genuine authenticity…the kind that actually attracts people to you. Working with your natural talents and strengths and being true to who you are is the best way to create your very best brand.
Since you are your brand, it is crucial you put your best foot forward in showing the world who you are by the way you dress and the way you communicate. Taking time to fully understand yourself…to know who you are and what unique talents you bring to the work is crucial to your personal and professional growth. Being genuine and authentic will attract people who share your same philosophies and interests. Wouldn’t you rather attract the right clients than to spend hours on the phone drumming up business? Revealing your authentic self will attract people who want to work with you and buy from you. Remember, no one likes being sold to.
Here are 7 ways to brand yourself and be authentic:
- Know who you are. Being true to who you are is so important for your brand. It creates authenticity which is magnetic in attracting prospects and clients. No one wants to work with a phony…so know who you are on the inside and show is on the outside.
- Keep the same look and feel for everything. Make sure you are consistent from the way you speak to the way you write to the way your website and social media sites look and feel. I would suggest you even keep that consistency in the colors your choose and the things you wear.
- Educate don’t sell. Provide valuable information that will educate your readers. No one wants to be sold to so don’t sell; teach them what they need to know to be successful. Never worry about giving away too much. The more you give the more you receive in clients and success.
- Brand you and not someone else. One of my pet peeves is seeing a @yahoo or @gmail in a business person’s email address. Who do you want your prospects and clients to think of when they send you an email? Get your own domain. It’s easier than you think and you will be branding you each time someone sends you an email. The other pet peeve is not branding an email signature line. This is valuable real estate and should include your photo, website, and contact information.
- It’s not what you say but how you say it. Only 7% of the words you use to communicate represent your verbal message. 38% of your verbal message comes from vocal toning, inflection, and pacing. Slow down, speak clearly, and communicate the right message.
- Appearance really does matter. 55% of your message is from your appearance and body language. Dress like a successful professional or entrepreneur to experience success. There is nothing more important to your brand than that first impression. Make sure you are delivering the right message for your company through your appearance.
- Get out and build relationships for business. Network as much as you can to connect with other professionals and entrepreneurs. Taking time to build relationships is the best way to build your brand and get yourself known. Remember, it’s not what you know…it’s who you know.
First and foremost be genuine and authentic. This is the best way to build your brand and attract clients and increase your ROI. One of my favorite quotes is from Judy Garland. She said “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.”
To find out more about your personal style, visit www.DonnaGamache.com where you can get your free e-course “7 Ways to Feel Even More Confident in Your Appearance”.
DONNA GAMACHE, speaker, author, and coach works with clients to help them create a Powerful Presence. She has two published books and hosts the monthly Gamache Panache radio show.
Thanks Girlfriend Guru Donna for your great fashion advice, like your previous Girlfriend Guru posts:
- How to Exude Professional Presence
- Quick and Easy Ways to Dress for Holiday Parties
- A More Polished Look is Essential
- Three Massive Mistakes Women make when Shopping
- Get Paid to Purge your Closet
- Update your Spring/Summer 2012 Fashion
- Personal Style – with a Dash of Red (For Valentine’s Day)
- Fit to be Styled
- Quick Changes for Festive Holiday Looks
- True Beauty – 5 Steps to a Beautiful You
- Appearance Matters
- Trendy ways to wear Animal Prints
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out! Don’t forget to make your girlfriends feel special with perfect birthday gifts for women!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?