We dream of sending our children to college. When they are babies we dream of the academic/football/diving/debating/fill-in-the-blank scholarships they’ll get. And then it turns out that they hate diving or love football but don’t play at a level to earn a full ride. And with a sigh we look at the cost of education and realize that sending our kids off to work at Starbucks might not be the worst plan after all.
Financial expert and Girlfriend Guru MIATA EDOGA shares information about completing the intimidating FAFSA, the form that unlocks financial aid in all it’s glorious shapes and forms. Take a deep breath, girlfriend, gather your data, and let Miata help you get ready to send the kid off to learn.
If you’re contemplating college in the fall, there’s one document you need to fill out RIGHT NOW: the FAFSA form. This single document is the most important key in cutting the cost of your education dream.
While the federal due date for the FAFSA isn’t until June 30th of each year, individual states and schools often have due dates in early- to mid-February. Begin now so you won’t worry about being late!
Your whole college aid strategy is predicated on knowing a couple important terms: “FAFSA” and “EFC.”
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid is the government’s financial aid program to apply for the Pell Grant, it also opens up nearly all need-based aid in traditional college programs. Many people make a critical mistake: they don’t fill out the FAFSA because they believe there’s no hope of receiving federal government aid.
Here’s a great way to imagine financial aid programs (although you won’t find financial aid officers explaining the programs in this manner): schools won’t hand over any financial aid until you bleed the state. The state won’t grant financial aid until you bleed the federal government. This is why EVERYONE works through the FAFSA form. It streamlines the process. While it’s true that most are denied a Pell Grant, this form also is used for subsidized and unsubsidized student loans. Unsubsidized loan programs are open to nearly all students. This is also the method to apply for nearly all need-based aid through states and schools.
Key point: Fill out the FAFSA form, even if you think you won’t receive aid.
Expected Family Contribution (or EFC), is the amount the government says you should be expected to pay before aid programs kick in.
Need is based on the difference between the cost of the college and the amount of your EFC.
Cost of school minus EFC = need
Once they’ve determined your need, a school financial aid officer creates an aid package.
Remember that the acronym is eFc (expected FAMILY contribution), not ePc (expected PARENT contribution). Schools examine income and assets of both the student and parents. They’ll also ask about other family members and how many are also attending college.
Schools may not all use the same EFC calculation. There are two. You should ask which your favorite institutions use:
- Federal EFC methodology: This is most widely used and is determined using the FAFSA.
- Institution EFC methodology: This calculation is used by individual schools to determine their own EFC. While they might use traditional FAFSA questions, individual schools may consider additional criteria to determine aid.
Here is your homework, education-seekers!
- Find out important due dates NOW so you don’t miss your chance at financial aid.
- Fill out the form early. Schools don’t have unlimited financial aid and some may administer funds on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Understand the basics of the FAFSA before filling it out to help you calculate ways to better reflect your true EFC, but don’t wait.
- Ask schools what EFC calculation each uses and find out any institutional discrepancies from the national EFC calculation BEFORE applying for financial aid.
MIATA EDOGA is the President and Founder of Abundance Bound, a 10-year old company committed to utilizing humor, inspiration & lots of love to give individuals around the world the necessary tools to thrive financially, while keeping focus on the things they treasure most. Visit the Abundance Bound Facebook Page for your free copy of Financial Success for the Creative Soul!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out! Don’t forget to make your girlfriends feel special with perfect birthday gifts for women!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?
THANKS to our BIG 2012 and 2013 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). If you’re a brand, please contact us and check out more for Brands and Businesses who want to be Girlfriend Recommended. And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!
Debba Haupert | 39 items | 1065 views
Don't you love having SMART girlfriends who give great advice? Well, we've got the go-to gal for financial advice for women. The President and Founder of Abundance Bound shares her insights in these guest blogs as a GIRLFRIEND GURU for Girlfriendology. (Thanks Miata!)
1. Rent or Buy? Home Decision Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspiration,...
Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need. Sarah Ban Breathnach I'm so grateful for my home. It's where I live, work, spend time with my friends (and pets!).
2. Saving Money: 5 Ways to Avoid Restaurants,Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
There are times when I love making dinner. There are times when going out is the joy of getting together with wonderful people and catching up over a meal. There are times when there are no ingredients in the house (unless you count tomorrow's yogurt and a packet of ice tea mix as "ingredients").
3. 5 Tips To Save Money on Groceries,Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspi...
Supermarket automatic doors open for me; therefore, I am. - Craig Bruce My friend Shari loves grocery shopping. She loves the bright fresh fruits and veggies and finding new varieties to try. She loves discovering new flavors and ingredients and spices-and she is a gifted cook who takes her inspirations and turns out delish dishes.
4. What to Look For In a Financial Advisor, Financial Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | ...
I admit it. I'm one of those people who likes to figure things out for myself. Over the last few (or maybe more than a few) years, I've worked hard to figure out where figuring things out for myself leads to positive self-esteem and where it just leads to stubbornness and frustration.
5. Pay Off Your 30 Year Mortgage in 15 Years | Financial Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
May the roof above us never fall in And may we good companions beneath it never fall out. ~Irish Blessing Bills are not fun. Paying bills is not fun. I can think of about a zillion things that are more fun than paying bills.
6. Financial Aid for College,FAFSA Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspira...
We dream of sending our children to college. When they are babies we dream of the academic/football/diving/debating/fill-in-the-blank scholarships they'll get. And then it turns out that they hate diving or love football but don't play at a level to earn a full ride.
7. Buying Your Next Car,Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspirat...
It's that time again in my world. Time to think about acquiring a new vehicle. Ick. Sorry, that's all I can come up with. Ick. There are people who love car shopping-I am not one of them. It seems other people know so much more than I do about cars and financing.
8. Building Your Financial Plan | Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Ins...
There are times when it's fun to drive without a destination, to wander the roads watching the scenery without worrying about anything more than enjoying the ride-hopefully with a great girlfriend along to spend time together. There are times when we need to get somewhere specific (possibly on time).
9. Are You Overpaying For Investments? Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Fr...
We all approach decision making differently. Some of us race in, getting past the decision point as quickly as possible, leaving it to the facts to catch up when they are ready. Some of us agonize over every possibility, getting so caught in the "what-ifs" that we become paralyzed with indecision.
10. Going Through a Divorce? Three Money Tips,Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
"I couldn't believe how much I didn't know," a girlfriend recently told me. We were talking about the divorce she'd gone through three years ago. "Partly I just ignored all that financial stuff. I thought it was great that it was his responsibility-like putting out the garbage and fixing the leaky faucets.
11. Just Starting Out? Follow These Basics,Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better...
Every now and then it really pays to go back to the beginning. Even when we think we know something really well. Have you ever looked at a recipe you've been making from memory for years only to find out that there is an ingredient you'd forgotten or a different measure or...(this happens to me far more often than I care to admit).
12. Navigating a Home Refinance,Finance Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
Sometimes we call a girlfriend for a silly, "fluff" conversation: how are ya' doin'? Guess what color I dyed my hair? Have you seen the latest episode of ...? Sometimes we call because we want something more substantial: philosophy or perspective or great girlfriend advice.
13. Negotiating a Raise at Work, Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Bette...
Some things seem easy when you listen to someone else or watch a sitcom (where both sides of the dialog are scripted out). Talking about money is one of those things that-for many of us-is much harder in real life than it is in our head.
14. Going Phishing - Protect Your Financial Information, Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendolog...
There is a difference between fishing and phishing. Not just the spelling, but the harm it can do to your identity and finances. In one, actual fish are the goal; in the other, it's our money (or us, depending on how you look at these things).
15. More 401k Mail? Don't Throw This One Out! Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Bet...
If you want something, it will elude you. If you do not want something, you will get ten of it in the mail. ~Anna Quindlen Girlfriend guru and financial wiz MIATA EDOGA tells us not to immediately toss all that boring retirement stuff in the recycling bin. At least not right away.
16. Saving Money on Back-To-School, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework. ~Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann It's also a great time to pick up supplies for school, work, or just around your home. We love the one-cent sales. We love them so much, they sometimes lead to overstocking on things.
17. 5 Steps to Buying Big Ticket Items, Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend ...
Some things are so easy to purchase. Other things represent more of a challenge. My favorite way to deal with big purchases is to put someone else in charge. Of course, once they make a final suggestion I usually want to weigh in on the decision, so that doesn't work out to well in the end.
18. Are You Too Worried About Risk? Guru Advice from Girlfriend Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frien...
"If you risk nothing, then you risk everything." Geena Davis What if you don't like me? What if I vote differently? Dress strangely? Talk with an accent, have a diverse background or live a different lifestyle? Will you still be my friend? Friendship comes with risks ...
19. Choosing Retirement Investments, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frien...
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off. Abe Lemons For some of us (OK, for most of us), retirement seems far away. Maybe it's that we're young (or young at heart). Maybe it's that we haven't saved enough for retirement.
20. Avoiding The Money Fight, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Ins...
We're watching the Olympics in my house (big surprise, right?) so the arguments these days are generally either with the television ("That was SO not a penalty!") or among ourselves about which of the zillion channels we should be watching. These are easily ignored, quickly forgotten non-arguments.
21. Low Interest Rates,Girlfriend Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspirati...
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it. ~Bob Hope I was having lunch with a group of girlfriends recently and we were joking about a ridiculously expensive purchase. "Ah, who needs money?" joked Sammi. Every hand at the table went up.
22. Understanding Your Credit Score | Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a ...
A person's credit report is one of the most important tools consumers can use to maintain their financial security and credit rating, but for so long many did not know how to obtain one, or what to do with the information it provided. Ruben Hinojosa It's easy to do.
23. Why Are You A Spender? Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frie...
Why Are You A Spender? Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga,friendship quote,girlfriend advice,finances,guest blog
24. Consolidation Loans: A Good Idea, but Not a Strategy, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendolog...
The little money I have - that is my wealth, but the things I have for which I would not take money, that is my treasure. ~Robert Brault Friends are such a valuable treasure. And friends who share helpful girlfriend advice on things we often need to know, are invaluable as well.
25. How Much Should I Save For Retirement? Advice from Finance Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
A big part of financial freedom is having your heart and mind free from worry about the what-ifs of life. ~Suze Orman I love how girlfriend take care of each other. We share advice and car rides, health and fitness tips and 'friendly advice.'