There is something that shifts this time of year–do you feel it, girlfriend? Whether or not you have children, whether or not those children are school-age, whether or not those school-age children are insisting they need THAT SPECIFIC item, there is something about Back-to-School time that gives all of us the start-of-a-new-year feeling.
It’s also a great time to pick up supplies for school, work, or just around your home. We love the one-cent sales. We love them so much, they sometimes lead to overstocking on things. Girlfriend Guru MIATA EDOGA has some great tips for controlling back-to-school spending. We think they’re pretty good tips for all kinds of purchases.
Back to school time is here again.
It seems like I was just bringing cupcakes to school for the end-of-year party. Now we’re .headed to the store for new clothes, backpacks, and school supplies.
How do you get through it without going broke?
Here are my favorite tips for back-to-school time:
1) Set a budget. Nothing prioritizes your spending better than the big bad “b” word. Write down how much you have available to spend, and then write out each item you’ll need.
2) Invest in the Sunday newspaper. If your budget is tight, grab a Sunday paper to find the best specials. I usually don’t use the newspaper anymore, but when it’s time to shop, I grab the inserts and begin comparison shopping.
3) Try alternate and online shops. There are unique ideas from people on websites like Etsy, if you’re looking for an unusual item for your child’s wardrobe or supply needs. Consignment and used clothing stores can cut your costs dramatically, too.
4) Investigate whether your state has a back-to-school sales tax holiday to help people save money on supplies. Check out the Federation of Tax Administrators website for a list of all state tax holidays. If so, shop on those days for additional savings. Usually stores will align deals with tax holidays for additional discounts.
5) If you’re buying a laptop or new computer for the school year, consider waiting. Shopping site dealnews.com reports that the best time of year consistently for deals on technology supplies is between Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and New Year’s Day.
Finally, there are some people who aren’t worried about finding deals or clipping coupons. They’re worried that their children won’t eat or be able to go to the doctor. If you know someone in this situation, read this article from the USA.gov blog for details on how to apply for assistance.
MIATA EDOGA is the President and Founder of Abundance Bound, a 10-year old company committed to utilizing humor, inspiration, and lots of love to give individuals around the world the necessary tools to thrive financially, while keeping focus on the things they treasure most. Visit the Abundance Bound Facebook Page for your free copy of Financial Success for the Creative Soul!
What are your tips for saving money during back-to-school?
- Negotiating a Raise at Work
- Going Phishing? Protecting your Financial Information
- More 401K Mail? Don’t throw it out!
- Five steps to buying Big Ticket Items
- Are you too worried about Risk?
- Choosing Retirement Investments
- Avoiding the Money Fight
- Low Interest Loans Financial Advice
- Understanding Your Credit Score
- Why are you a Spender?
- Consolidation Loans – A Good Financial Strategy?
- How much to save for Retirement
- How to Buy a Car without feeling like dirt
- Pay Yourself First
- Financial success
- Saving money on your next getaway/trip
- Credit card advice on paying the minimum payment
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?