When it comes to avoiding workouts, it is so easy to make excuses (trust me–I am a champion excuse maker). If you don’t believe me, just look at Pinterest; why else would there be so many motivational images encouraging us to work out?
One thing we’ve found over the years is that while it is easy to make excuses and avoid working out on our own, it is much harder to skip a workout you plan with a girlfriend. Guest blogger MAIRE HUNTER points out the advantages of working out with a friend. So what are you waiting for, girlfriend? Let’s get moving!
There’s a lot that goes into get a great workout. We all lead busy lives, and that makes time and commitment an issue when it comes to getting in a good workout. Support is important when it comes to getting in shape, and having two things can provide you just the type of support you need: a good workout plan, and girlfriends to workout with.
Going to the gym can seem like a chore when you’re going by yourself. Some may look at it like an opportunity to be alone and meditate, but it’s not that simple for others. By asking one of your girlfriends to exercise with you, you’re creating your own support network. When you’re asking someone, make sure she’s as interested in and committed to a workout plan as you are.
Here are some other reasons that having a girlfriend to work out with can help you get the job done:
- Motivation. Sometimes getting off the couch and getting to the gym can be difficult. The motivation just isn’t there. Having a girlfriend that’s at the gym waiting for you, though, should be motivation enough to get up and go. On other days, you’ll be doing the same thing for her!
- Spotting. Having a spotter is always a good idea just for safety. You can always ask someone to spot you at the gym, but having someone you’re comfortable with and who knows the exercises you’re trying to do can provide both mental and physical support.
- Competition. Friendly competition can be really healthy for you. Having a girlfriend that you can compete against in a friendly way can push you to go a little bit faster, to work a little harder, and lift a little more weight.
- Increase the available exercises. There are plenty of exercises designed for two people. When you work out with a girlfriend, you’re able to choose from many more exercises, which helps keep your routine fresh and exciting.
- Goals. Personal goals are a great part of any good workout plan. But without support in reaching those goals, or a little extra push when you fall behind on those goals, you may never reach them. Having a girlfriend there to help you stay on track will help you get to your goals.
The right workout plan
After you have a girlfriend to work out with, you should focus on a good workout plan for you. Don’t let your workout plan be a fad; stick to it! Determine what you’re hoping to accomplish with your workouts and plan accordingly. Want to lose a little weight? Focus on getting in cardio. Hoping to tone some muscles? Plan weight lifting exercises that target muscle groups. Just remember: do work on your entire body. Focusing too much on one area of your body can cause problems.
If you’re planning to join a gym (or you’re already a member), consider talking to a personal trainer or other staff. They’re very knowledgeable and able to help you. Many gyms also offer a wide variety of free classes with membership, like yoga, spinning, kickboxing, or Pilates.
There’s nothing wrong with not wanting to work out in public. Many women have a home gym. When you’re planning your home gym, you’ll want to make sure you have the right workout equipment for what you want to accomplish. Working out at home has a lot of advantages:
- No lines for equipment.
- Freedom to workout how you want.
- Workout whenever you want.
The right plan can make all the difference in your work out! With a girlfriend providing support, you will be able to accomplish your goals together and soon be on the road to fitness!
MAIRE HUNTER is a huge fan of her at home fitness equipment, which she is told she spends way too much time on. This is only because she likes to eat endless amounts of dark chocolate. Did she also mention that she has a baking problem as well?
What are your tips for working out with your girlfriends?
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!) SIGN UP for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?