I remember a conversation with a girlfriend when I was just creating Girlfriendology. We talked about how girlfriendships can start with a shared laugh, a common goal or sometimes just a good bottle of wine. That has stuck with me – especially since I love wine and women friends. (and not in that order!)
There is something almost magical about spending time with a friend over a glass of wine and a sincere, comfortable conversation. We seem to relax a little more, worry a little less and savor the flavor of friendship.
Being summer, we often are busy with travel schedules, kids camps or home from school, juggling work and free time, etc. Plus, it’s HOT so not always the happiest of seasons – right?
Well, our ‘recipe for friendship,’ especially in the Summer is cooling off and spending time with your gal pals. It’s the perfect way to spend a Summer day or night and we’ve got some great recommendations, several inspired by our girlfriends at the Wine Sisterhood, for your Summer Girlfriend Get-togethers:
- SANGRIA! As the photo above tempts us, tis the season to have our wine chilled and our fruit in it! Invite the Girls over for Sangria on the deck or porch. Have some cool appetizers available like Chunky Guacamole and Chips, Sliced Wraps or just some Fancy Cheese and Crackers. The Wine Sisterhood shares several Sangria recipes on WineSisterhood.com, including this one (doesn’t it look yummy?!):
- 1 750-ml bottle of *white wine such as Middle Sister Surfer Chick Sauvignon Blanc
- one cup ginger ale
- 3 medium oranges
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- Orange-flavored liqueur, such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier (optional)
Squeeze the juice of three medium oranges, one lemon, and one lime through a strainer into a large glass pitcher. Slice the citrus and add to pitcher. Add one chilled bottle of your favorite white wine such as Middle Sister Surfer Chick Sauvignon Blanc with one cup (or more) of ginger ale depending on your sweetness preference. If you want to pump it up a notch, throw in several hearty splashes of an orange-flavored liqueur.
Serve in large wine glasses filled with ice and garnish with a few citrus wheels. Note: we don’t add ice to the pitcher so the flavors won’t be diluted if you allow the Sangria to steep for a while in the refrigerator.
*Also try this recipe with the new Middle Sister Glamor Girl Bubbly! (Omit the ginger ale.)
- Carry-in, Potluck or BYOFood Dinner – Whatever you call it, wherever you live, it’s a great way to take some of the pressure off you for providing a big meal (and heating your kitchen up in the Summer!). Give the meal a theme (like Mexican or Favorite Foods as a Child, whatever – make it fun!) or assign courses/recipes. Not sure how much wine, beer or alcohol to have on hand? Well, our friends at the Wine Sisterhood say: ‘There’s an app for that!’ Check out their NEW ‘Drink-u-lator‘ App that estimates how much wine, etc. you need to have on hand! (Check it out – it’s free and really helpful, like a good girlfriend!) You wouldn’t want to run out just when the girlfriend get-together is going so well!
- Brunch! – Who doesn’t love Brunch, right?! It’s a perfect way to spend time with friends on a Saturday or Sunday mid-morning (probably not too early!). Invite the girls over, set up a picnic table or trays to take brunch outside (or stay in, if it’s just too hot!). What should you serve? How about a brunch bread bowl with ingredients that each girlfriend selects herself?! Check out the brunch recipe and wine pairing from the Wine Sisterhood. (They’re not only Wine Sisters, they’re also fabulous Foodies!)
- Grilling Girls – Sure it’s hot, but some things are worth it! Fire up the grill with/for the girls with a tasty Cilantro Lime Beef Satay. Serve with Middle Sister Rebel Red or PromisQous Red and voila! Then jump in a pool and cool off! (Even if it’s just a wading pool or you feel like a kid again and run through a sprinkler
p.s. Thanks to the Wine Sisterhood for their recipes and inspiration, as well as the great Sangria photo above. What would we do without our Wine Sisters?!
CONGRATS to the Wine Sisterhood! Their Drama Queen Pinot Grigio caused quite the stir at The San Francisco International Wine Competition this June. We’re not surprised. AND, their Middle Sister wines were featured on The Today Show! Sweet & Sassy Moscato and Wicked White – you looked (& tasted!) great on the show. Again, CONGRATS!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out!
THANKS to our BIG 2012 Sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter and Mean Green Degreaser (check out their coupons!). And our July sponsor of Fridays – The Wine Sisterhood (check them out on Twitter and Facebook too). And – THANKS to YOU Girlfriend!