“How are you?” We hear people say this every day–often we say it to. We generally use “how are you?” as another way of saying “hello” or “good morning.” And we usually get the same answer: fine. The entire exchange is pleasant and civilized and about as deep and interesting as a mostly dried up puddle.
For girlfriend guru RACHEL AWES asking and answering interesting questions is a wonderful way to strengthen friendships. When was the last time you asked (or answered) an unexpected question? Why not ask a girlfriend something interesting today?
Every now and then, I receive fun questions sprinkled into emails I receive from girlfriends. They are like surprise packages in the middle or end of all their other important words. They are invitations to play. To deepen. To lighten. To liften.
What’s the last thing you cooked or baked?
What’s the last book you read? Movie you watched?
Did you bring a lunch box to school and what did it look like?
Do you have a word for the year? Or a hope?
What is the last dream you remember having?
What is your favorite tea and do you put anything in it?
What form has your happiness taken lately?
Would you show me a childhood photo of you?
Here’s a childhood photo of me. I’d love to see one from you too, dear reader! Feel free to leave your email in a comment and maybe we can find our way to each other.
Sending out love to all you cook and dream and be. xox
RACHEL AWES is a psychologist, art playgroundist, writer, wife, mother & friend, who loves listening to the beauty in people. You can see more of her art or her artistic thoughts on Pinterest. You can also read more of her work on her blog.
What is the best question a friend could ask you? Tell us in the comments section.
- Thanking our Girlfriends – The joy of thanking and being thanked
- Library Love Notes – A wonderful way to cheer up the world
- Love keeps Lifting me Higher – Experiencing Girlfriend Gratitude
- Timing Matters – A Girlfriend’s perfect timing
- The Power of a Girlfriend’s Kindness – Prayer that all friends feel loved
- A Year of Great Girlfriend Intentions – A great year of friends and friendships
- The Art of Girlfriends – How friends inspire us (& we inspire friends, like Rachel does)
- Playdates with Girlfriends – Great things to plan in 2012!
- Girlfriend Love Letters – Write one to your BFFs!
- Girlfriend Gift Ideas - Creative ways to show your friendship
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology and Twitter/@Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 50,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. & Did you see our INFOGRAPHIC on ‘What Women Want‘?