Have you noticed how the price of gasoline is crazy? Of course you have! And unless you are lucky enough to live within walking distance of your job, your family, your grocery store, and your friends, you’re probably paying more attention to how much gas you use.
Abundance Girlfriend Guru MIATA EDOGA share really useful tips for using your financial resources well (we’re so glad she’s part of our community!). This week she tells us how to make stopping to to fill up the car less painful.
Unless you’ve been living on moon, it’s been impossible to ignore that refilling your gas tank now costs an arm AND a leg.
You’ve probably heard the advice to inflate your tires appropriately and to drive with your windows up and the air conditioner off. Huh? It’s nice outside! I want my windows down! …and by the way…the advice about tires…that’s great for both tire longevity and your safety, but does little to help increase your fuel mileage.
1) Find apps to seek out low-priced gas. My friend’s mother is 82 years old. She receives a text every day telling her where the cheapest gas in her town can be found. There are tons of apps and free services that do this. Don’t tell me you aren’t tech savvy: if she can do it, so can you.
2) Consider riding a bike or walking. Do you know that people use a car for over 80 percent of all trips under a mile? Biking and walking are healthy and save you money on fuel costs.
3) Accelerate slowly. Jamming on the gas pedal to fly by that annoying slow truck? Your engine responds by flooding more gas through the system, which is much more inefficient than a slow, steady approach.
4) Put your car on a diet. Stay up to date on your auto’s maintenance schedule and clean out the back seat and trunk. Anything heavy is just more weight that the car engine has to pull. Less weight means less pain at the service station.
5) Use cash-back reward cards. If you can’t handle credit cards responsibly, consider this the “Four Ways to Save at the Gas Pump” and ignore this advice. Otherwise, invest in a card that pays you back for trips to the pump.
These tips won’t make you giggle at the pump, but they will keep a few dollars in your pocket to drop into savings or use on your next outing with friends.
MIATA EDOGA is the President and Founder of Abundance Bound, a 10-year old company committed to utilizing humor, inspiration, and lots of love to give individuals around the world the necessary tools to thrive financially, while keeping focus on the things they treasure most. Visit the Abundance Bound Facebook Page for your free copy of Financial Success for the Creative Soul!
Thanks Miata and thanks for being one of our Girlfriend Gurus!
By the way, we LOVE guest blogs here at Girlfriendology. Have a great girlfriend story to tell? Want to celebrate your fabulous female friends? SHARE! (And, we also have Girlfriend Gurus – check that out to be featured on Girlfriendology!)
Sign up for our weekly newsletter and get our FREE eBook ‘30 Days / 30 Ways to Be a Better Friend‘ - check it out!
More to check out – Facebook.com/Girlfriendology where we’re connecting with over 27,000 women (we block guys!) and Pinterest.com/Girlfriendology where we share visual inspiration and great quotes. (& our Pinterest Marketing site: Pinfriendology.com.) More Girlfriend Friendship Quotes. THANKS to our BIG 2012 sponsor – Biz Stain Fighter. And – Thanks to YOU Girlfriend!
Debba Haupert | 39 items | 1106 views
Don't you love having SMART girlfriends who give great advice? Well, we've got the go-to gal for financial advice for women. The President and Founder of Abundance Bound shares her insights in these guest blogs as a GIRLFRIEND GURU for Girlfriendology. (Thanks Miata!)
1. Rent or Buy? Home Decision Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspiration,...
Be grateful for the home you have, knowing that at this moment, all you have is all you need. Sarah Ban Breathnach I'm so grateful for my home. It's where I live, work, spend time with my friends (and pets!).
2. Saving Money: 5 Ways to Avoid Restaurants,Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
There are times when I love making dinner. There are times when going out is the joy of getting together with wonderful people and catching up over a meal. There are times when there are no ingredients in the house (unless you count tomorrow's yogurt and a packet of ice tea mix as "ingredients").
3. 5 Tips To Save Money on Groceries,Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspi...
Supermarket automatic doors open for me; therefore, I am. - Craig Bruce My friend Shari loves grocery shopping. She loves the bright fresh fruits and veggies and finding new varieties to try. She loves discovering new flavors and ingredients and spices-and she is a gifted cook who takes her inspirations and turns out delish dishes.
4. What to Look For In a Financial Advisor, Financial Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | ...
I admit it. I'm one of those people who likes to figure things out for myself. Over the last few (or maybe more than a few) years, I've worked hard to figure out where figuring things out for myself leads to positive self-esteem and where it just leads to stubbornness and frustration.
5. Pay Off Your 30 Year Mortgage in 15 Years | Financial Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
May the roof above us never fall in And may we good companions beneath it never fall out. ~Irish Blessing Bills are not fun. Paying bills is not fun. I can think of about a zillion things that are more fun than paying bills.
6. Financial Aid for College,FAFSA Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspira...
We dream of sending our children to college. When they are babies we dream of the academic/football/diving/debating/fill-in-the-blank scholarships they'll get. And then it turns out that they hate diving or love football but don't play at a level to earn a full ride.
7. Buying Your Next Car,Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspirat...
It's that time again in my world. Time to think about acquiring a new vehicle. Ick. Sorry, that's all I can come up with. Ick. There are people who love car shopping-I am not one of them. It seems other people know so much more than I do about cars and financing.
8. Building Your Financial Plan | Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Ins...
There are times when it's fun to drive without a destination, to wander the roads watching the scenery without worrying about anything more than enjoying the ride-hopefully with a great girlfriend along to spend time together. There are times when we need to get somewhere specific (possibly on time).
9. Are You Overpaying For Investments? Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Fr...
We all approach decision making differently. Some of us race in, getting past the decision point as quickly as possible, leaving it to the facts to catch up when they are ready. Some of us agonize over every possibility, getting so caught in the "what-ifs" that we become paralyzed with indecision.
10. Going Through a Divorce? Three Money Tips,Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
"I couldn't believe how much I didn't know," a girlfriend recently told me. We were talking about the divorce she'd gone through three years ago. "Partly I just ignored all that financial stuff. I thought it was great that it was his responsibility-like putting out the garbage and fixing the leaky faucets.
11. Just Starting Out? Follow These Basics,Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better...
Every now and then it really pays to go back to the beginning. Even when we think we know something really well. Have you ever looked at a recipe you've been making from memory for years only to find out that there is an ingredient you'd forgotten or a different measure or...(this happens to me far more often than I care to admit).
12. Navigating a Home Refinance,Finance Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
Sometimes we call a girlfriend for a silly, "fluff" conversation: how are ya' doin'? Guess what color I dyed my hair? Have you seen the latest episode of ...? Sometimes we call because we want something more substantial: philosophy or perspective or great girlfriend advice.
13. Negotiating a Raise at Work, Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Bette...
Some things seem easy when you listen to someone else or watch a sitcom (where both sides of the dialog are scripted out). Talking about money is one of those things that-for many of us-is much harder in real life than it is in our head.
14. Going Phishing - Protect Your Financial Information, Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendolog...
There is a difference between fishing and phishing. Not just the spelling, but the harm it can do to your identity and finances. In one, actual fish are the goal; in the other, it's our money (or us, depending on how you look at these things).
15. More 401k Mail? Don't Throw This One Out! Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Bet...
If you want something, it will elude you. If you do not want something, you will get ten of it in the mail. ~Anna Quindlen Girlfriend guru and financial wiz MIATA EDOGA tells us not to immediately toss all that boring retirement stuff in the recycling bin. At least not right away.
16. Saving Money on Back-To-School, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend...
I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework. ~Lily Tomlin as Edith Ann It's also a great time to pick up supplies for school, work, or just around your home. We love the one-cent sales. We love them so much, they sometimes lead to overstocking on things.
17. 5 Steps to Buying Big Ticket Items, Financial Advice from Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend ...
Some things are so easy to purchase. Other things represent more of a challenge. My favorite way to deal with big purchases is to put someone else in charge. Of course, once they make a final suggestion I usually want to weigh in on the decision, so that doesn't work out to well in the end.
18. Are You Too Worried About Risk? Guru Advice from Girlfriend Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frien...
"If you risk nothing, then you risk everything." Geena Davis What if you don't like me? What if I vote differently? Dress strangely? Talk with an accent, have a diverse background or live a different lifestyle? Will you still be my friend? Friendship comes with risks ...
19. Choosing Retirement Investments, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frien...
The trouble with retirement is that you never get a day off. Abe Lemons For some of us (OK, for most of us), retirement seems far away. Maybe it's that we're young (or young at heart). Maybe it's that we haven't saved enough for retirement.
20. Avoiding The Money Fight, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Ins...
We're watching the Olympics in my house (big surprise, right?) so the arguments these days are generally either with the television ("That was SO not a penalty!") or among ourselves about which of the zillion channels we should be watching. These are easily ignored, quickly forgotten non-arguments.
21. Low Interest Rates,Girlfriend Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Friend | Inspirati...
A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don't need it. ~Bob Hope I was having lunch with a group of girlfriends recently and we were joking about a ridiculously expensive purchase. "Ah, who needs money?" joked Sammi. Every hand at the table went up.
22. Understanding Your Credit Score | Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a ...
A person's credit report is one of the most important tools consumers can use to maintain their financial security and credit rating, but for so long many did not know how to obtain one, or what to do with the information it provided. Ruben Hinojosa It's easy to do.
23. Why Are You A Spender? Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better Frie...
Why Are You A Spender? Financial Advice from Girlfriend Guru Miata Edoga,friendship quote,girlfriend advice,finances,guest blog
24. Consolidation Loans: A Good Idea, but Not a Strategy, Financial Advice from Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendolog...
The little money I have - that is my wealth, but the things I have for which I would not take money, that is my treasure. ~Robert Brault Friends are such a valuable treasure. And friends who share helpful girlfriend advice on things we often need to know, are invaluable as well.
25. How Much Should I Save For Retirement? Advice from Finance Guru Miata Edoga | The New Girlfriendology | Be a Better F...
A big part of financial freedom is having your heart and mind free from worry about the what-ifs of life. ~Suze Orman I love how girlfriend take care of each other. We share advice and car rides, health and fitness tips and 'friendly advice.'