Your friends care about what you care about, right? Friends notice what you like or don’t like. Girlfriends pay attention to the special things that make you YOU.
That’s just what friends do. We pay attention to your likes and dislikes, the things you’re passionate about and the people/things in your life who make you happy. And in doing so, we get to know the little things in your life that you love, the special talents and traits, and the details that make you YOU. We notice the characteristics about you that make up who you are and can often identify opportunities for which you are well-suited.
Wikipedia defines ‘niche’ as ‘any position of opportunity for which one is well-suited, such as a particular market in business.’ It comes from Old French niche, from nichier (“make a nest”) (modern French nicher), from Latin n?dus (“nest”).
This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend a conference based on NICHE. It was #NAMS* – the Niche Affiliate Marketing System Conference in Atlanta. It is lead, taught and attended by professionals who focus on a niche (or a lot of them) and provide them with community, products and services to assist them in reaching their goals through focusing on their own niche.
This focus on niche caused me to consider my girlfriends and all the niches they encompass. As women, we tend to do that – we have a wide range of talents and interests. We’re not just women, we’re moms, non-moms, sisters and aunts. We’re foodies, frugalistas, fashionistas and fitness gurus. We do our finances and are often the CEO of our families. We have lots and lots of niches, lots and lots of passions, lots and lots of amazing facets to our lives.
We’re going to start address those more on Girlfriendology. We want to be the girlfriends who share information in the areas where we need it, or just pass along information based on areas of our lives that we’re passionate about – food, being frugal, fitness, fashion, family, finance, fun and, of course, friendship. So we’re going to offer:
- Frugal Advice - how to save money (to possibly spend on girlfriend trips and gifts! or just making our lives less stressful so we can spend time with our girlfriends). For example, we’ve found a couple frugal sites that we’ll be sharing from – ShopAtHome – a site that gives discounts AND cash back,Coupons.com, Groupon, etc.
- Foodie Friends – fun foodie info, recipes, discounts, discoveries – fun, fab, foodie stuff! LikeCooks.com, recipes, Cooking with Caitlin (our great girlfriends – Kelly, Caitlin and Molly), etc.
- Faith & Spirit – our thoughts on our faith – we share as women, and acceptance for other women’s thoughts. Like we share with girlfriends. (But know, that ALL women are welcome here – whatever you believe. As girlfriends we accept you – and love you - just the way you are!)
- Family – our family relationships impact our friendships and most areas of our lives. We’ll share great girlfriend advice on families.
- Fashion - who else understands our complex relationship with shoes?! Girlfriends GET us so we’ll be sharing fashion tips, advice and ways to save and still be stylish. Girlfriend advice for our fashionable friends!
- Fitness & Health – fortunately we have our girlfriends to share their helpful insights and info on keeping us healthy and fit. Share your fitness tips and find out what’s the latest scoop on staying healthy.
- Finance – It’s often a major stress point in our lives and hopefully together we can share financial girlfriend advice to make our lives less stressful and financial management for women information (and maybe even save money to spend it on girlfriend gifts and girlfriend trips!).
- Fun Stuff - the girlfriend gifts we give each other, ways we celebrate birthdays and special days, the touching connections we have with our friends and how they bring out the best in us, the way they help us go after our dreams.
What’s your niche? What areas of your live do you love to talk about and share with your girlfriends? What topics should we share, among girlfriends – of course!, on Girlfriendology? Let us know. Let’s talk about our niches among our friends. That way we all learn from each other – like girlfriends do!
* NOTE: If you’re interested in knowing more or perhaps attending NAMS7 in January 2012, check it out! It’s an amazing conference for those interested in internet marketing.
What’s going on Girlfriendology? Girlfriend Advice – That’s what!
- Estate Planning for Not-Moms - Guest blog by our girlfriend KAREN MALONE-WRIGHT
- 10 Rules for Teen Agers – Mom advice from girlfriend JUDI, including our favorite: “You are the perfect you. And I love you.” (Great advice for teens as well as girlfriends.)
- Things our Girlfriends Teach us about Ourselves – EVIE BURKE, in this guest blog, shares how we can learn something from almost any experience we have and how we learn a lot from our girlfriends.
- Girlfriend Advice for helping a Friend go through a Break-up – Girlfriend advice and guest blog from DENISE JOHNSON
- Back-to-school Lunch Advice – Mom advice for moms on getting into the school year
- Girlfriend Gifts for Back-to-School – For summer girlfriend birthdays, for teachers, for just-because gifts
This week on BlogTalkRadio.com/Girlfriendology … Step Mom, Heather from CafeSmom
Are you a Step-Mom? or is a Girlfriend? It’s a different life that sometimes needs a friend’s advice – who gets it. Listen in on FRIDAY, August 26th 2-2:30pm ET on BlogTalkRadio.com/Girlfriendology as we talk with HEATHER from CafeSMom – a place for step-moms to share their girlfriend advice on being a step-mom. JOIN US!
What did you LIKE (or LOVE?!) this week on Facebook.com/Girlfriendology?
“Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it ‘The Present.’ ” Eleanor Roosevelt http://ow.ly/63Xzf
“Life is partly what we make it & partly what it is made by the FRIENDS whom we choose.” Tehyi Hsieh http://ow.ly/631jk
When was the last time you told your BFF how special her friendship is to you? http://ow.ly/68fN9 It’s #PhoneAFriend Day – call her up & make her day (:
“You is kind. You is smart. And you is important.” http://ow.ly/68ynF Remember that girlfriends! (Have you see ‘it’ yet?!)
“Women are always beautiful.” Ville Valo http://ow.ly/63XrA (FTR – You’re beautiful girlfriend!)
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt http://ow.ly/63XoC
“If there ever comes a day when we can’t be together – keep me in your heart, I’ll stay there forever” http://ow.ly/5RWQH The friendship wisdom of Pooh (:
“FRIENDS show their love in times of trouble.” (Be there for your friends ‘in times of trouble’) Euripides http://ow.ly/62ZvP
“Life is to be fortified by many friendships. To love & be loved is the greatest happiness of existence.” Sydney Smith http://ow.ly/62Zho