When was the last time you and your girlfriend went to the zoo – together? A nearby museum? A festival or park outside of your neighborhood? Girlfriends are great exploring companions so, for our Month of Friendship challenge today, we’re encouraging you to get out of the house, leave the family at home and go explore your city with a girlfriend.
Why? Because you not only get to know your hometown a little better, you get to know your friend better too. Exploring together is the perfect way to spend the day – visit shops you’ve never visited, go to a park and walk the trails, pretend you’re a newbie in your town and explore museums and galleries.
First, find a friend who is adventurous and can take off some time to explore with you. Think about those friends whom you haven’t seen in a while and who, after spending time together, you always want to hang out some more. Extend the invitation to go explore and set the date.
Now to figure out what you want to do for the day. If you can, either meet to plan or spend some time on the phone with your willing adventurer girlfriend and discuss your options. What cultural/arts locations haven’t you visited recently? Any parks or neighborhoods that you’ve wanted to explore? Any concerts, exhibits or galleries? What about a fall festival or nearby events? If you were a visitor in your hometown, what would you want to do?
Stop by a hotel that caters to out of town guests to pick up any brochures or information on local events and destinations. Check your coupon/Entertainment books for discount tickets or stop by RetailMeNot.com and enter your location/city for discounts at places nearby. Look for places and activities that you’ll both enjoy and that will be something new to do.
If you want to get really creative, choose several options and plan out the day. Breakfast at a favorite or new restaurant, shopping, late lunch then some museum time probably isn’t a typical day for you so go for it and make some memories together. Are you and your girlfriend more active? Meet at the gym for spinning, then have a healthy lunch together and go for a hike in a nearby park. (Note: plan your girlfriend adventure for this Saturday, September 25th and go to a National Park. No entrance fees that day!)
It’s actually not so much about where you go for what you do. It’s taking time to be together. Enjoying conversations that only happen when you’re just hanging out together. Making memories of fun times together. Just go, girlfriend!
What would a perfect day hanging out with your BFF look like? Why not plan it?!
Days 1-22 of our Month of Friendship:
- Day 1: Throw a girlfriend dinner party
- Day 2: Girlfriend Gratitude
- Day 3: Social Media Friends
- Day 4: Make a memory gift for your girlfriend
- Day 5: Phone a Friend!
- Day 6: Plan a Girlfriend Trip
- Day 7: Pamper your Pals
- Day 8: Make a Friend Laugh
- Day 9: Start a Girlfriend Tradition
- Day 10: Go Shopping with your Girlfriends
- Day 11: Remember a friend you’ve lost, in honor of 9/11
- Day 12: Make dinner for your girlfriend
- Day 13: Send your girlfriend a card
- Day 14: Host a Girlfriend Happy Hour, GNO
- Day 15: Practice Random Acts of Kindness
- Day 16: Get a Mani/Pedi Together
- Day 17: Organize your closet with Girlfriend
- Day 18: Have a girlfriend movie or wii party
- Day 19: Go for a girlfriend walk together
- Day 20: Throw a all-about-you-girlfriend party
- Day 21: Make a girlfriend gift
- Day 22: Coffee with a girlfriend