You know the friend who always makes you laugh? She can turn tears of sadness or stress into laughing until you cry. Those kind of girlfriends are just fun to be around and so fabulous to have on speed-dial when you need a friend and a laugh.
And, why is laughter so important? As girlfriends, we want our friends to be happy and healthy (which just happen to be some of the benefits of girlfriends) and laughter is …
… Good for your health
- Laughter relaxes the whole body. A good, hearty laugh relieves physical tension and stress, leaving your muscles relaxed for up to 45 minutes after.
- Laughter boosts the immune system. Laughter decreases stress
- hormones and increases immune cells and infection-fighting antibodies, thus improving your resistance to disease.
- Laughter triggers the release of endorphins, the body’s natural feel-good chemicals. Endorphins promote an overall sense of well-being and can even temporarily relieve pain.
- Laughter protects the heart. Laughter improves the function of blood vessels and increases blood flow, which can help protect you against a heart attack and other cardiovascular problems.
So, how can be be a better friend and add the benefits of laughter to your friendships? Well, for this Month of Friendship, we’re looking at ways to be a better friend. And today we want to make you/her laugh, so here are a few ideas (and we welcome yours!):
- Send her funny videos and quotes when you find them. They just might make her day. (And you can find lots of funny and inspiring videos on the Girlfriendology Facebook page – we post new videos every weekday around 10-11am ET.)
- Buy/send her funny greeting cards - for Birthdays or ‘Just Because’ days. A really funny card can make her laugh and forget all the stress in her life. And actually mail it. Women love to get good mail and a surprise from you would be a wonderful, cheery surprise.
- Watch (or send her) a funny movie – What movie makes you crack up? Does she enjoy romantic comedies and chick flicks? Make sure the movie is appropriate for her (rating, subject matter – things she feels comfortable with, break-up movies if she’s going through that!). Several girlfriend gift movies recommended from our Facebook fans/Twitter followers: The Holiday, My Best Friend’s Wedding, Mama Mia, My Big Fat Greek Wedding, Nutty Professor, Valentine’s Day as well as Absolutely Fabulous and Whose Line is it Anyway?.
- Does she love to read? Give her a fun, light book like Sisterhood books by Fern Michaels, Anything by Janet Evanovich, Sweet Potato Queen books, anything by Jennifer Cruise, The Bachelor Brother’s Bed & Breakfast, Step Ball Change and Belly Laughs – especially if she is pregnant (all shared by our online girlfriends!)
- Have something funny happen? Call her up and share it! See an ad or article that cracks you up, well, it will probably do the same for her to so share. Sometimes all she really needs is to hear your voice on the line to be cheered up!
How do you cheer up a friend? Share and cheer up someone!
Here’s days 1-7 on our Month of Friendship:
- Day 1: Throw a girlfriend dinner party
- Day 2: Girlfriend Gratitude
- Day 3: Social Media Friends
- Day 4: Make a memory gift for your girlfriend
- Day 5: Phone a Friend!
- Day 6: Plan a Girlfriend Trip
- Day 7: Pamper your Pals