I love the wisdom that women share. Girlfriend advice from simple tips to handling life, we all benefit from sharing life and wisdom with each other.
So, it’s a joy to introduce you to CATHY RAFF and to share some of her wisdom and insight. And, to get to know her better, join us today (February 8th) at 11am PST/2pm EST on our BlogTalkRadio show. She’s got a great story and, I know, will inspire all of us to appreciate the gift of sharing.
The Gift of Sharing
Guest Blog By Cathy Raff
This is a story about sharing. Whenever I hear the word share, I always think of an advertisement that ran when I was a little girl. “What did you learn in school today? The mother asks her little girl”. And she replies, “sharing”. I always think it is something that needs to be taught throughout our lives, and not only through talking, but through our actions.
The most exciting venture I started in my life began just with that, sharing.
I started The Friendship Stone over a cup of coffee with a girlfriend. So many times girlfriends have the opportunity to share important issues going on in their lives. I find that is exactly what is so wonderful about girlfriends, sharing, confiding and sometimes coming up with great solutions to so many of our worries.
I noticed that my husband, and actually many of our male friends do not do this; they do not share their emotions. Women are so lucky to have the ability to share with the women in their life, and for many of us it comes naturally. Yet as natural as it seems, often times we don’t go the entire distance. It seems as if we are afraid to expose all of ourselves, for fear of judgment, of not being accepted if some one sees our weaknesses, or if you think you have to be perfect. I found that once I accepted all of me, and all of my imperfections, life became much easier, and I am actually happier.
One of my favorite topics to discuss are my children and my girlfriend’s kids, especially if hers are older and she can give me some hints and ideas on what do in different situations, after all “no reason to reinvent the wheel.”
I have learned to share all of me, meaning my fears, my challenges, my mistakes and my successes. I have learned not to be embarrassed by the challenges I face, chances are that every other woman out there has sat in my seat, and only if I am willing to open up and really share the important stuff, can I:
- Develop an intimate relationship with a girlfriend.
- Get real ideas for a solution.
- Realize that I am not alone, in two respects: a. most mothers face the same issues, and b. my girlfriends want to help, but they can only help if they know what is happening with me.
- Feel the heavy load being lifted.
- Have no facade. When I accept all sides of myself, I love myself more and can be a better person. Letting someone else see you are not perfect is a great way to do that simultaneously, it helps your friend accept all sides of her.
- Be a great friend by listening and supporting my girlfriends without judgment or criticism when they share with me. Letting a girlfriend feel that she is in a safe environment is so rewarding and really helps foster closeness between two people.
So my one message is, share, and share all of you!
Again, join us today on BlogTalkRadio to hear us talk with Cathy. And, you can submit your own questions via the chat room or call-in number too. Join us!
For more inspiring women, meet:
Stepfanie who inspires women to get healthy
Angelia who shares how she’s awakened to the need for friends (editor of Hope for Women Magazine)
Dawn & Tina who inspire women with their company Girlfriend Celebrations